We are committed to helping families provide a quality education for their wards. Making the transition from high school to university life can be overwhelming for students. However, with your support, we can make sure students have amazing experience at Ashesi. Here a few pointers, based on questions we have received from parents. The list below will be updated periodically, so do let us know if there is any information we should add.

  • Learning Support Open or Close

    My ward needs help with classes. What resources are available? 

    There are many resources at the university to help students who are struggling academically. Ashesi has several teaching support centres to help strengthen a student’s competency in math, writing, computer science and research. Also, most classes have a faculty intern assigned to the faculty and course, who provides additional support both in and out f regular classroom sessions. The first step is for your ward to inform his/her faculty and faculty intern so that their situation can be assessed appropriately; and if the student still has challenges, they can go to their academic advisor for further assistance.

  • Stress Management Open or Close

    My ward seems very stressed out. What should I do?

    In the transition from high school to university, most students experience some stress in adjusting. Ashesi has several counseling structures in place to help students settle - covering both academic and social life. However, if you believe your ward is not adjusting the way they should, please contact the Dean of Student and Community Affairs. The Dean will arrange to meet with you and/or your ward and help you determine necessary steps to be taken.

  • Working on Campus Open or Close

    Ashesi has work study programs that provide students with the opportunity to earn money and work experience from interning with different university departments. Work study opportunities are open each year for students to apply. Your ward can contact the Career Services Center for more information.

  • Absence For Medical Reasons Open or Close

    If a student has adequate medical reason, they may be advised to withdraw from the University or take an Incomplete grade in their classes, to allow them to continue their academic work at a later time when they get better.

    Getting an Incomplete Grade

    For a student to get an Incomplete grade in a course, the student must be given permission by the Dean of Students or the Provost. An Incomplete grade in a course is appropriate only if the student’s work in a course has been of passing quality and a minority of the work of the course is left outstanding, as determined by the instructor. The instructor must agree with the student on a date for the completion of the work, which must be approved by the Provost; an effort should be made to complete remaining work within the first week of the following semester. An Incomplete grade will be replaced by a final grade within weeks of the completion of the work. If the work is not completed by the agreed upon date, either the grade will revert to a Failing grade or whatever grade the student would have earned based on their previously completed work. Within reasonable limits, the Provost may choose to extend the deadline to complete outstanding work.

    Deferring Studies

    A student who is unable to complete a substantial portion of a semester because of illness or other emergency, and can provide appropriate documentation, may be given permission by the Dean of Students or the Provost to withdraw from the university. The withdrawal will not affect the student’s academic standing. Students who withdraw must request to resume their studies in the subsequent semester at Ashesi from the Academic Registry. If the illness or emergency is still affecting the student at the start of the immediate subsequent semester, the student may request to remain absent from the University for up to 2 additional semesters, after which the student will be considered permanently withdrawn, and will have to re-apply to the University to resume their studies.

  • Academic Probation & Dismissal Open or Close

    My ward is on academic probation. What does this mean?
    This means your ward is close to being dismissed from the University because of lower than expected academic performance and needs to improve. Students will be placed on academic probation if, at the end of any regular semester, their cumulative grade point average (GPA) is less than 2.0 (C average). 

    Students will be subject to dismissal if:
    (1) they fail to make normal degree progress, or (2) after one or more consecutive regular semesters on academic probation they have not achieved either a semester or cumulative GPA of 2.0.

    See more in Section 5.22.1 (p.34) of the Student Handbook.

  • Late Start to a Semester Open or Close

    What are the implications for starting a semester late?

    All students have up to two weeks, at the start of each semester, within which to register for classes and report to campus. If the student is unable to do this, they need to provide adequate reason before the close of the registration window. Students who are unable to register within two weeks of a semester re-opening, may be required to defer their studies and resume school in a subsequent semester.

  • Checking on Academic Progress Open or Close

    All students have secure access to their academic records electronically, from wherever they may be. This means you can ask them to show you their grades at any point.